WELCOME to my blog and my photographic journey, where my photography style is dictated by my environment. I am a full time executive member of my household. That's right, I care, feed, instruct, inspire, maintain, a group of amazing individuals and the space they live in. These individuals are my children and husband, that place is my home. Most of the time I photograph where we are together, what we are doing together and most importantly their beautiful expressions. Sometimes I have the wonderful opportunity to photograph another family or event. I post my journey here.

My photographic philosophy:
I celebrate the unique differences in each person, event and place. I relish in capturing life as it happens naturally. I anticipate it! I love creating an emotional image, one that will be cherished. I seek for beauty in the simplest most unexpected places. I enjoy carrying my camera where I go, making an interpretation of that moment and archiving it for good. Creating a beautiful, stunning final print and giving lasting memories of people loved. These things put a smile on my face.
Art (22) Bridal (1) CARS (4) Engagement (1) Events (3) Family (7) Farm (6) FREE IMAGES (1) Ideas (13) Life (25) My Beliefs (1) Photo Lesson (7) Portraits (17) Religion (4) Self Improvement (7) Service (2) Southern Utah (1) Wedding (7)

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Snapshot vs Fine Art

I took these images with the Kodak Easy Share C813. The first image is of Snow Canyon, Utah and the next is at Pink Coral Sand Dunes, Utah. It was fine using this little camera while I was out hiking and 4 wheeling with my husband. No need to take the big camera. Except the guilt I feel when I see the "money shot" and I don't have my 4x5 land camera with a stock-load of black and white negative film on hand. Oh well, that kind of shooting will have to sit on the shelf for a few more years while I raise my young children.


I am no real landscape photographer, but like to try my hand at it when I am out. I took 3 shots of the area and then stitched the images together with Photosop CS4 to get the wider angle. I keep it simple. Sun behind me, look for a focal point and shoot shoot shoot! There is no excuse anymore to not get your shot. When your digital, your not worrying about cost of film or the extra roll your processing while standing in the dark listening to John Denver bellow out another power tune at 4 am (now I am getting personal).

Try to experiment with different angles, and view points. Digital lends the perfect opportunity to advance your skill in a much speedier way. You can literally see your work seconds after shooting. So try to allow the digital format make you a smarter photographer rather than a lazier one thinking the same thought all lazy photographers think (I can fix it later in photoshop) which we all know is really not the "easy way out."

It is important as always to view photography as an art form. By recognizing that the various types of cameras, paper and processes are tools to create what you visualize in your minds eye. Just as a painter would use his brushes, canvas and paint. You as a photographer would use your photography tools to create an image. Your not going to get the same result with different tools. It doesn't make one tool wrong, you just have to know your limitations and abilities. If you want to call it art at least have the decency to work on fine tuning the craft and understand how to best use that tool. This eventually will help you differentiate your snapshots from your real works of art. I think it is good practice to pick up a disposable camera and try to come up with creative images using something so simple as a disposable, just to stretch your thinking.

So keep shooting photographers! Go crazy till your hearts content. You can make it happen. -Sharee
































Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Site